A new groupset
Installing the new drivetrain was loads of fun. It was pretty easy, too. Well, you need some knowledge, some tools and some confidence in your ability to not screw up; but other than that, it is actually pretty easy.
While installing the brake cables, I swapped the front and rear brakes to make the setup consistent with my road bike – left lever for front and right for the rear.
Two things that need replacement
There are two things that need to be replaced. One is relatively cheaper than the other. The grips, as visible from the image above, are pretty worn out. The costlier swap would be the wheelset. Braking surface on both rims have worn out. On top of that, the front hub isn’t spinning so well. On closer inspection, I found that some mechanic, who had tried to service the hub, had damaged the grip of the hex nut.
My new old bike and a test ride
As a whole I was pretty happy with the setup and tuning. Barring a small turn of barrel adjuster for my front derailleur, the shifting and braking were spot-on.