Inventory: Deore T610 Trekking V-brakes
Two weeks ago, I had received a pair of Deore T610 brakes. They were sitting idle in my toolbox just because I did not have grease. I got a tube of Park Tool polylube for some decent price at bikeme.co.in  and while I was at it, I also placed an order for a set of Allen keys. I find a multitool cumbersome. They are great as a part of mobile toolkit, owing to their compact nature, but it’s much easier to use full size ones.
I had recently installed new brake pads . These new brakes came with their own pairs. I put the current pads on the new brake arms and packed the new ones in by toolbox.
I cleaned up the brake posts on my fork and the rear stays with some de-greaser and wiped/dried it off before applying a new coating of grease. The shaft surface wasn’t that smooth. Years of rub against accumulated sand and dirt wore the surface a bit. The grease surely helped.
The old brake arms were damaged
In an earlier post , I had mentioned that the springs were damaged. Today I found out that was not the only problem. On each of the brake arms, the index pin (roll pin) that rests inside one of the three holes beside a brake post was bent out of shape. This was one of the major reasons why the arms did not have much resistance against the cable pull.
A partial installation
The v-brakes came with a new noodle and a rubber guide. If I had to install them, I needed new brake cables. (If you see the image below, you’d understand why. The cable area that is press-locked by the hex nut is frayed. I would have to cut it to get it out of the noodle.) I have new cables but I do not have a cable and housing cutter. I will buy that item next.
This kind of forced me to retain the old rusty noodle and pack the new ones in my toolbox.
Speaking of rust, a portion of the rear cable and the housing had rusted. Since I couldn’t change them, I de-greased and lubed them to decrease the friction. This is far from ideal but will be good enough for a month or two.
As for the new brakes, they are snappier than the callipers on my road bike. There is also enough tension to keep the exposed, rear-brake wire running along my top tube taut.